Maskne: The New Face Acne!
Today, Masks have become essential as the spread of coronavirus has left no country, no continent, and no Island. So, if you are developing breakouts because of incessant face mask use, trust me you are not alone!!! This condition is termed Maskne. Masks have surely increased the talk about acnes in these times of testing but, do Maskne only mean pimples, NO, it may also include different skin issues including redness, bumpiness, irritation, etc. If you have experienced any skin irritation due to masks, read on! We will explore all the potential causes and ways to prevent Maskne, because Corona or No Corona a face with pimples is a wish of none.
- Clogged pores: Our skin already has sebum, bacteria, dirt, and dead skin cells. With masks, all these substances build up more leading to clogged pores.
- Humidity/ Constant breathing under the mask: Masks trap humidity due to our breathing and sweating which increases the risk of skin bristles.
- Mask Fabric (Choose comfort over anything) : The most common reason. The material of the mask rubs with our skin and if it isn’t skin-friendly it causes inflammation and irritation. Similarly,if one is allergic to the material of the mask it can also lead to breakouts. Always choose a mask that is soft to softest on your skin!
Remember, it is important to wear a mask even if you have maskne as it’s one of the best ways to protect ourselves from COVID-19. However, there are a few precautions we can always take to keep the acne at bay:
- Wash face regularly with a mild cleanser or keep some wet face wipes handy that would help in cooling down your face. Eg.: Kleenowipe Charcoal Face Wipes. These are some of the best skincare wipes and are a must for sensitive skin.
- Avoid using products that have alcohol or perfume as these ingredients can cause skin irritation.
- If your maskne is more severe, try a medicated cleanser with benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid.
- Use non-comedogenic moisturizers as these would hydrate your face and won’t block your pores.
- Use mask as an excuse to avoid makeup, if you are treating maskne because products such as foundations and concealers are heavy and can cause some serious clogging of pores.
- Use your mask as an excuse to stick to a basic skincare routine that includes cleansing, toning, and moisturizing. Keep it light for your skin!
One such product that serves as the one-stop solution to all these skin needs is KLEENOWIPE! Not just a regular wipe, it’s a wipe that helps your skin breathe, gives you a quick detox session, and helps your skin calm down (something supremely important to prevent Maskne!).
All variants of Kleenowipe are alcohol-free, paraben-free, pH balanced, and dermatologically tested. Each variant caters to a specific skin-type and is extremely skin-friendly.
Charcoal Wipes – for Oily to Combination Skin
Micellar Wipes – For Normal to Dry Skin
Exfoliating Wipes – Dual Textured wipes for gentle exfoliation
Tips to prevent Maskne –
- Wash the mask after every use.
- Gently exfoliate your skin every week.
- Apply antibiotic cream as it is common to develop bacteria under a mask so consult your dermatologist and get the right gel or an antibiotic cream.
- Throw away that disposable mask after each use.
- Choose the right mask –
- One that fits right but is not too tight
- Is made of natural fabrics like cotton
- Wash your face with a mild face wash everytime after removing the mask.
- Apply moisturizer before wearing mask as dry skin can cause more irritation.
Right now we cannot toss our masks in air just like our graduation caps no matter how much we wish to, so let’s make it our companion that is easy on our skin too. And let’s not forget to befriend KLEENOWIPE and give our skin one more reason to STAY HEALTHY…. STAY BEAUTIFUL!! 😊